Along with the blistering Texas summer heat, our region is also very humid. The moisture in the air, along with triple-digit temperatures, likely means you’ve spent the last three months searching for any way to cool off. But how does the high humidity affect your AC unit? And just how does your air conditioner keep you cool when temps and humidity levels are high?
Controlling the Humidity In Your Home
When the humidity levels climb (90%+ is the average for summer in East Texas), it’s important for you to take extra steps to reduce the moisture in your home. Because your air conditioner works to keep the humidity level between 50-60%, anything you can do to help it get there means it won’t have to work as hard to keep you comfortable. You also reduce your exposure to pathogens, such as pollen, when you reduce the moisture in the air. Here are some easy things you can do to take some strain off of your unit and preserve its lifespan:
- When cooking, cover your pots and pans with a lid so moisture doesn’t escape into the air.
- Utilize fans to increase ventilation.
- If possible, reduce your dryer use and hang dry your laundry on a clothesline.
- Take colder and shorter showers.
- Install and use fans in wetter areas of your home, like your kitchen or bathroom.
- Plants naturally release moisture. Don’t overwater them, and move them outside during the summer if possible.
- Keep your gutters and downspouts clean, and face the downspouts to direct water as far away from your home as possible.
Invest in a Dehumidifier
The last, and biggest step you can take to remove moisture from the air is investing in a dehumidifier. With a whole home Envirowise Indoor Dehumidifier from Trane, you’ll stay cool and comfortable while you maintain the lifespan of your AC unit. A dehumidifier not only extracts moisture from the air but also helps keep your home mold and mildew-free.
Contact Us Today
Whether your AC needs maintenance or service, or you’re interested in learning more about the benefits of a whole-home dehumidifier, contact our experienced HVAC technicians at Air Tech of Humble today. They can assist you in finding the right home comfort system to keep your home and your family cool, comfortable and safe.